The Use of Hemp Extracts in Chinese Medicine.
The hemp plant was used by Chinese Doctors as long as Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture exists.
History: Hemp as Medicine
- 2900 BC: Chinese Emperor Fu His-popular medicine that possessed both yin and yang
- 1450 BC: Book of Exodus (30:22-23)
- 1213 BC: Egyptians Use for glaucoma, inflammation
- 1000 BC: Used in India as anesthetic, digestive disorders, Dysentery and over 80 other medical conditions.
- 1745-1824: Grown by Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and others.
- 1937: Congress approved the “Marihuana Tax Act of 1937” based almost entirely on propaganda and misinformation.
Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new-found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##